Featuring fresh lemon zest and nutty, crackly poppy seeds, this lemon poppy seed cake is drizzled with a bright lemon glaze. I’ve mentioned before how much I enjoy lemon desserts. There is no other flavor that compares. This is the perfect cake for a company gathering. With lemon zest laced throughout, nutty, crackly poppy seeds fill this lemon poppy seed cake, which is finished with a bright lemon glaze.
There’s no way I’m getting cake over a lemon dessert. Sweet and tangy are just two flavors that always entice me. This cake stays moist and tender for days, just like a homemade cake should, and it keeps for days without going bad. It’s the perfect treat to have on hand when family and friends visit. My grandmother might have called it “company cake.”
This cake can be baked in a Bundt pan or in two loaf pans with a dimension of 8½ x 4½-inches. You may want to refer to the important notes at the bottom of the father day cake design before selecting which pans to use. Besides being able to keep the cake on the countertop for days, it also freezes well.
You may also like:
Frequently Asked Questions
Poppy seeds add a little crunch as well as flavor. The fruits are also high in fiber, calcium, copper, phosphorus, and magnesium. There is nothing wrong with any of these things. So it’s obvious that this cake is also healthy! However, it is also possible to make the cake without them.
When you double the recipe, this cake should fit in a 10 to 12 cup bundt pan if you bake it in a 9 x 5 ” loaf pan. You can also make muffins with this recipe!
Unfortunately, no. Although Meyer lemons have a wonderful flavor, regular lemons will also work. Basically, you can use whatever citrus you like. There is nothing better than limes, oranges, or grapefruit!
It’s absolutely true. The cake is delicious as is, but if you want a simple syrup glaze, boil 1/4 cup water with 1/4 cup granulated sugar. The pot should be removed from the stovetop once the water has boiled. Stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Once the cake has cooled completely, brush the vanilla glaze over the top and allow it to dry completely before adding the syrup.
Yes, of course! There is nothing better than a make-ahead treat like this cake. When the cake is baked, let it cool completely before storing it in a cool, dry place tightly covered with plastic wrap. Before serving, wait a few minutes before glazing the cake.
You may also like:
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
You'll keep coming back for another slice of this light and fluffy Meyer lemon poppy seed cake with fresh citrus flavors. Breakfast treats like this quick bread are perfect when topped with a thick vanilla glaze.
- 2–3 tbsp Whole milk
- 1 cup Confectioner’s sugar
- 1–2 Tbsp full fat Greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Temperature should be set at 350°F. Line a 9 x 4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper by spraying it with cooking spray and extending it past the short sides. The handles are used to pull the loaf out once it has cooled a little.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Place in a separate bowl. The butter and sugar should be beaten together until pale and fluffy (about 3 minutes) in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- After adding each egg, beat well after each addition. Clean bowl's sides as needed by scraping. Vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest should be added now. Once combined, mix until smooth.
- Start mixing on low speed and add some of the flour mixture, followed by some greek yogurt, ending with the flour mixture. Put the poppy seeds in a wooden spoon or rubber spatula after you remove it from the mixer. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until barely combined.
- Overmixing is not recommended. Bake 55-60 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cover the top of the cake with aluminum foil if it browns too quickly towards the end of the baking time.
- Allow the pan to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes after removing it from the oven. On a wire rack, carefully remove the cake from the pan using the parchment paper handles.
You can increase the lemon flavor of the glaze by replacing the whole milk with fresh lemon juice.
Up to 3 days can be spent storing cake tightly wrapped in a cool, dry place.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 715Total Fat: 26.7gCholesterol: 89.4mgSodium: 263.1mgCarbohydrates: 114.8gSugar: 94.3gProtein: 7.5g
Leave a Reply