Rich, indulgent and impressive, this Hershey’s chocolate cake recipe will impress any guest! In addition to being convenient, cake mixes are tasty, incredibly moist, and extremely easy to prepare. There is no doubt that this chocolate cake is a million times better, but it is just as simple to prepare as well!
Chocolate is Hershey’s specialty, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that they would whip up one of the greatest chocolate cakes around. Right on their cocoa powder box, Hershey’s provides a recipe for chocolate cake.
There’s a good chance you’ve got it somewhere in your cupboard. One problem with the father day cake recipe ideas is that it is extremely soft, making frosting it a little tricky. The fix to that is super simple and I’ll show you how.
Hershey’s Chocolate Cake History
Six candy bars were used in the original Hershey’s chocolate cake, developed after World War II. The recipe was popular among Americans because it celebrated the end of the war and the end of food shortages. Whenever you hear the phrase “Hershey’s chocolate cake,” most people think of the “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake recipe that can be found on the back of Hershey’s cocoa powder boxes.
You may also like:
Frequently Asked Questions
Recipes like this are really versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. In addition to the 9-inch 2-layer cake, it can be made into an 8-inch 3-layer cake, a sheet cake 13″ x 9″ , or a bundt cake or 30 cupcakes.
This is serious! It’s great when a cake recipe can be adapted for cupcakes instead of layer cake, since it means I don’t have to dig through my recipe file to find another recipe. When making cupcakes, you should grease and flour the cupcake liners or use a greaseproof cake pan.
Buttercream frosting is a healthier alternative to cream cheese frosting, so this cake can be stored at room temperature for up to five days, whole and covered. The cake will last longer if it isn’t cut, but hopefully not longer than four days.
During the cutting process, air is introduced into the cake, which contributes to the drying process. The cake will become slightly dry after four or five days, but that’s no problem! It’s just a matter of making Cake Balls with the leftovers.
Whether Hershey’s chocolate cake is frosted or unfrosted, it can be frozen. In order to freeze cooled unfrosted cake layers, wrap them individually in one layer of plastic wrap followed by another layer of aluminum foil (a double wrapping will help prevent freezer burn). Three months may be allowed for the layers to be frozen.
The frosted cake should be frozen for about three hours, uncovered, in the freezer. Like unfrosted cake, wrap the frozen cake in plastic wrap and aluminum foil when it’s completely frozen. Put the frozen food in the freezer for up to three months. Allow the cake to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Make sure it is wrapped tightly to prevent sogginess.
You may also like:
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 ⅓ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans by greasing and flouring them. Make the cake by mixing sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- Combine eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla in an electric mixer and mix for 3 minutes. The boiling water should be stirred in by hand. Place the prepared pans on a baking sheet and spread evenly.
- After baking for 30 to 35 minutes, insert a toothpick into the centers to check for cleanness. The cakes should be cooled completely before being removed from the pans. Make frosting while the cakes cool: Cream butter until it is light and fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Milk and vanilla should be added alternately with confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Ensure that the mixture is smooth enough to spread. On a serving plate, stack the cooled cake layers horizontally, each topped with frosting. Use the remaining frosting to frost the outside of the cake.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 654.8Total Fat: 24.6gSaturated Fat: 10.5gCholesterol: 64.2mgSodium: 524.3mgCarbohydrates: 111.1gFiber: 5.8gSugar: 87.6gProtein: 7.3g